Contact Us on +44 (0)207 359 2019 Open Tue-Sat 11am - 6pm Sun 12pm - 5pm 85-87 Southgate Rd, London N1 3JS

Edward Barnsley An oak Cotswold dining table and chairs

The Millinery Works

s6966

Edward Barnsley An oak Cotswold dining suite, the extending top of framed, flush panel construction, on twin supports to each end, on square section sledge feet, joined by two, low stretchers, all with stepped and moulded edges. The six chairs : stop chamfering and incised reeding to the backs, stepped and moulded edges to the slats and to the front legs, exposed dowel construction, drop-in seats, stamped makers' marks and Air Ministry crown marks, circa 1950, table 75cm (29.5in) high, 99cm (39in) wide, 137cm (54in) long, 213cm (84in) long exteneded. Chairs 87.5cm (34.5in) high. Edward Barnsley (1900 - 1987) The son of Sidney Barnsley, schooled at Bedales, he opened his first workshop in 1923. This chair design was first used for an H M Government commission for the 1937 coronation; with the end of rationing of materials after WWII, the design went into production for Government offices, most notably for The Air Ministry, the vast, Portland stone building designed by E Vincent Harris, between Whitehall and the river.


Related Items