Contact Us on +44 (0)207 359 2019 Open Tue-Sat 11am - 6pm Sun 12pm - 5pm 85-87 Southgate Rd, London N1 3JS

Pair of Clissett side chairs

The Millinery Works

S6721

Designed by Ernest Gimson (1864 - 1919) A pair of ash Cotswold School 'Bedales' side chairs, turned supports, chamfered splats to the ladder back, made by Edward Gardiner, circa 1930, 97cm (38in) high, 44.5cm (17.5in) seat high.  Philip Clissett (1817 - 1913) a 'bodger' and chair maker taught Ernest Gimson how to make such chairs in 1890. Gimson (1864 - 1919) established his workshop in Daneway, Gloucestershire, in 1900 with Edward Gardiner (1880 - 1958) as chairmaker. Gardiner's apprentice, from 1939, was Neville Neal, and his son, Lawrence, joined as an apprentice in 1966. SOLD


Related Items