Contact Us on +44 (0)207 359 2019 Open Tue-Sat 11am - 6pm Sun 12pm - 5pm 85-87 Southgate Rd, London N1 3JS

Six GIMSON COTSWOLD ladder-back dining chairs

The Millinery Works

s6510 s6692

A harlequin set of six Cotswold, ash, high back ladder-back 'Gimson' chairs (two arms, four sides) with dowel construction, chamfered splats and with rush seats, designed by Ernest Gimson in 1906, circa 1920 but one arm later, this stamped 'Lawrence Neal', arms 117cm (46in) high. Philip Clissett (1817 - 1913) a 'bodger' and chair maker taught Ernest Gimson how to make such chairs in 1890. Gimson (1864 - 1919) established his workshop in Daneway, Gloucestershire, in 1900 with Edward Gardiner (1880 - 1958) as chairmaker. Gardiner's apprentice, from 1939, was Neville Neal, and his son, Lawrence, joined as an apprentice in 1966.

Related Items